Señor de la Agonía o Cristo de Mayo
(Our Lord of the Agony aka Christ of May)
Carved by Agustinian friar Pedro de Figueroa in 1612 and owned by Catalina de los Rios y Lisperguer, an aristocratic landowner notorious by her cruelty (she was accused and tried for over forty murders) the polychromed wood sculpture is also know by the legend of its crown of thorns placed on the neck.
According to it, in May 13th of 1645 after an earthquake destroyed the city of Santiago, Agustinian Bishop Gaspar de Villarroel after realizing the crown of thorns fell down into the image’s neck tried to take it off and put it back on the head. However two big aftershocks came after both attempts to restore the crown to its place. For this reason he decided to leave the crown untouched and organized a procession that is performed until now.